Pregnancy Brain

Tuesday, August 28

We've had a LONG day. The kids woke up this morning at 5:00am and were ready to play. So we took an early morning trip to the park and once again the other mother at the park was on her mobile phone (it was not the same woman FYI).

Now to get down to the true blog topic for this evening. First, I want to let all my readers know that I had NO choice. Brian made it clear that this evenings event must appear in the blog. So lets talk about door-to-door sales men. BTW while looking for a photo for today's post I found the following information:

You’ll need a hat. Every good door to door salesperson has a great hat. It doesn’t really matter what kind of hat it is, but there are some rules you’ll want to follow. The first is that you don’t want the hat to be the main attraction. You’ll want an ordinary hat that compliments your style. I’ll leave the decision up to you.A briefcase is also a must. You’ll need something to tote your catalogues and order forms around in, and the briefcase is the most common. I’ve seen people use over the shoulder bags and knapsacks, but the briefcase is the most professional.A good name is also important. You don’t want to be introducing yourself as a Teddy or a Missy. Use strong names such as Ted, Steve, Frank, Nancy, Tracy, and so on. You may have to change your name, but that’s alright. Every good sales person will do whatever it takes to make the sale.

Did you notice that Nancy was a strong name?? Okay so while I was preparing our dinner tonight someone rang the door bell. Brian is upstairs working. So I run to the door with a baby on my hip and Hannah holding onto my leg. As I open the door I am surprised to find a total stranger. Usually it is a neighbor that needs to borrow sugar or an egg. Anyway it is this young, cute girl who has these flyers in hand. She doesn't even come onto our porch, but stands at the bottom of the steps. "Hi. We are promoting our new carpet cleaning product and we would like to clean one room in your house for FREE. You are not obligated to buy or do anything. We are just trying to promote this new product and get the word out about our products" were the words uttered from this stranger's mouth. Now the wheels are turning in my head and I'm thinking 'GREAT' they can clean that one spot that the kids made while playing the other day. One last thing for my 'to do list'. So I hastily reply, "Okay. I guess that would be okay." The girl immediately responds, "Great! The guys will be here any minute to clean your carpet."
I am not sure why but at this point this seems really strange to me. Very few things in life are free, but I convinced myself that God was answering my prayers for a little extra help in my life. So I quickly forget about it and go back to peeling potatoes. A few moments later Brian comes downstairs, totally oblivious that anyone had rung the doorbell. "Oh, Honey someone is coming to clean our carpet in a little while" I mention as I am putting meat in the oven and boiling my potatoes. Brian stops dead "WHAT? You are kidding me right?" he replies. I very quickly tell him no and that this is great that I'm getting a little extra help. "Nancy, we did not even discuss this? What were you thinking? I can't believe you did this!" I am standing there looking at him just totally awestruck that he isn't as excited as I was. "Don't you remember when I used to sell windows?" Brian remarks and then proceeds to tell me how they sold windows to people who didn't truly NEED the expensive Windows that were marked up 70%. "Nancy, they are going to come clean the carpet and then guilt you and/or us into buying something we DO NOT need.
Now I am slowly starting to realize I may have made a mistake and I totally don't want to face/deal with it. At that moment the door bell rings again and I look at Brian "Honey, you will just have to tell them that we are eating dinner and tell them no thanks, because I am trying to cook dinner." I said, just trying to get out of this situation. So thankfully Brian goes to the door and "deals" with the situation. They were even willing to clean the carpet under us while we were eating dinner. Ha Ha Ha. Okay so I'm a very naive and trusting person. Thank GOD for my husband!!

P.S. I made these amazing Mashed Potatoes for dinner. As I was sitting there eating them I made a comment that they were so good you would find these in a restaurant. To which Brian busted out laughing, "Usually restaurants try to make meals that taste like home cooking not the other way around." Oops!?

1 remarks:

Jena said...

I get the apples at Masonic Village and let them sit (get soft) for 3 days in a warm, dry spot all spread out in boxes. When I'm making them, I cut them, (toss the core)boil them in a very little bit of water (just making sure the bottom ones don't burn) until their pretty mushy and then run them through the applesauce crank thing. I use my Gramp's very old-fashioned one, but I'm sure they sell them somewhere. It seperates the applesauce from the peel and the rest of the junky stuff. Then I put in in containers and freeze until we're ready to use.
Remind me to tell you my story about being gullible to salesmen...I let the same company come in TWICE...Ryan was furious after the second time and forbid me from accepting any more "free" offers.