Ride and Tie

Thursday, September 27

So my younger brother, Tom, who works and lives in Boston, Mass. decided to take a trip out to visit our Mom in Portland, OR. However, days before the arrival he tells my Mom that for fun he entered them in a Ride & Tie race in Cool, CA. For those of you not familar with a Ride & Tie it is a race between teams. Each team has 3 members -- 2 humans & 1 horse. The rider gallops past the runner, then gets off, ties the horse to a tree and starts running. The 1st runner finds the horse, gallops past the second runner and then ties the horse and starts running. They continue "leap frogging" this way to the finish line. Interesting fact: This sport was born in the old West when two men and one horse chased a horse theif to get their horse back.
So back to the fact that my brother told my mom days before that she would be running for a number of miles. I know that many people think that my Mom looks more like my sister, but she actually turned 50 this year. Sorry Mom but you do look great! In addition, she is in very good shape but wasn't training to run a race. As many of you out there will understand when you get older your body doesn't always work like it used to. I am only 27 but I am learning that I can't go out and just run a mile without actually training for it. I do remember a time when I would just go out and run the mile in gym class and then go to Math and be fine. Not any more!!
The race went really well they came in 3rd place and were very happy! I am very proud and grateful that they are both still alive! Way to Go!

1 remarks:

Jena said...

Wow, do you ever look like your mother! I actually had to take a second glance and wonder why you put up a picture of you with a story about her! Nice to know you'll look like you're 30 when you're 50, huh?