Today was a typical Thursday, but after picking Hannah Grace up from school I decided to take the kids to Wendy's for a kids meal/special treat. The kids were so excited!! Although I also wanted to stop at this great costume shop Brian noticed today while in Hershey. So I decided to drive thru and eat while driving to the shop. As I get in line at the drive-thru there are about 6 cars in front of me that have not ordered. While waiting Hannah asks if I will wash her hands, which is a very concerning phrase. How could her hands get dirty while sitting in her car seat belted in? Should I panic? I finally discover that she had taken out a school project she made and had taken it apart. This meant that she had glue and yarn stuck to her fingers and hands. Thank goodness she didn't touch anything in the car like her brother or the car seat. Moreover, I am not in a state of panic now, but I assess my situation and realize that getting out of the drive-thru line to wash her hands is a BAD IDEA! I now have about 5 cars behind me. So I tell Hannah to fold her hands in her lap and I will wash them in a moment. I am constantly reminding her as we wait and also praying that she doesn't glue her hands together! So I finally get to the speaker and order the meals. I paid. Got the food. Pulled into a parking spot to washed Hannah's hands.
As a mom I ALWAYS have wet wipes on hand. It took about 4-5 wipes to clean up the mess. Now, I decide that while I am parked I should hand out the food. As I hand out the food I realize we have NO STRAWS. Hannah Grace is now crying that her tummy hurts because she is so thirsty and well there is NO way I am giving her an open container of Sprite in the car. So my options are:
#1 - Go in the Drive thru again and tell them that I need a straw, which I have done before.
or
#2 - Park car outside the door. Leave kids in the car and grab a straw.
or
#3 - Take everyone out of the car and go in for a straw.
Okay so none of the options are looking like a good idea. There are still 10-15 cars in line at the drive-thru and I am thinking of a ton of reasons why option 2 would be a BAD IDEA. As for option #3 I am thinking this is why I didn't take them in the restaurant in the first place. Still not sure how to resolve the conflict I decide to drive up to the door. Just then a man walked out the door and I spoke before even thinking about it, "Sir, would you please grab me a straw? I have two small children in the car and it would be such a great help." Needless to say this was the 'angel' of the day. He went in and brought out a few straws with a smile on his face and said, "glad to help. looks like you have your hands full." Meanwhile both kids are crying and I'm holding my belly so the baby doesn't fall out as I am jumping out of the car.
So I just want to say Thank You! I am sure this man is not reading my blog, but I am just so grateful for nice people!! As a non-mother I never realized the everyday challenges of kids. Now I am just so grateful to all those who do and lend a helping hand. It was so easy for this man to pick up a straw, but for me I would have had to unload the kids, get them across the street safely, get a straw, explain why we are not staying at Wendy's and then get the kids back to the car and buckled. So thank you!!! Your good deed made my day so wonderful!
So after the straw fiasco I drove to Cocoa Costumes or so I thought. I pulled up only to realize that Brian misread the sign that said Cocoa Couture. I can understand because they were having a Grand Opening and it is almost Halloween and the couture part of the sign was a very small font. Nonetheless it was just another funny part to our usual Thursday afternoon.
Sidebar: Have you thought about how ridiculous it is that I feel the need to hold the baby in. I mean truly if the baby would just fall out during normal daily activities, labor won't be such a big deal.
4 years ago

2 remarks:
LOVE LOVE LOVE this whole story!!! Oh my word - I can totally relate to that kind of situation - what a nice man! AND holding the baby in - I am praying for you!!!! That little person has to come out soon! :-)
I love this story!! I just love when God sends us those people just at the right moment... he cares about even the little dilemmas we get into involving drinking straws!!!
Post a Comment