Morning Surprise

Thursday, June 12

Brian and I have decided that we want to have traditions that the kids grow up loving and that are honoring to the Lord. So a few years ago Brian find this book, Creating Family Traditions by Gloria Gaither & Shirley Dobson. So anyway one of the traditions is the 'May Day Morning Surprise'. Basically, you make a basket of spring flowers and hang them on a doorknob of someone you want to surprise or hand deliver it with a smile. So we decided that we were going to make brownies instead. We have lived in this house for almost 2 years and we still have never met our one neighbor. He is a single man with a teenage son. I see him come and go, but never say more then hello. So anyway for some reason my kids love to sit on his porch every time we play in the yard they will wander over to his yard and sit on the porch. I am always telling them to come back to our yard. The other day they even drew on the porch with chalk. Yikes.

Needless to say we baked him brownies and attached a little note and had Brian deliver them. I don't know that anything will really change, but I will share that it makes me feel so 'high'. Are you someone that could be broke, but still give your last $20 to a friend? Giving is such a gift.

So anyway I have decided to challenge you to do something for someone. Something that is unexpected. You could pick flowers from your garden or have the kids draw a special picture. Anyway I would love to hear what you decide to do!!

3 remarks:

Claremont First Ward said...

Great challenge and tradition!

Jena said...

I just made my neighbor an ice cream cake, BUT I don't think it counts as the answer to your challenge...she bought, planted and tends to my flowers, put mulch around the beds and keeps my front looking nice, because as she jokingly said today, "If your place looks bad, so does mine!" I love this girl! Anyway, we'll be trading "green thumbing" for food this summer!

Jen said...

I am so glad you posted this book! I heard about this book years ago, and headed immediately to the local Christian book store to purchase it, but they did not have it, and since then I guess I had forgotten about it! I am now going to FIND IT!!!!! LOVELY POST! P.S. LOVE how the blogs are posted on your site now as well! Very cool! How did you do that?