Today was an amazing day. Not to mention that the sun was shining so bright I had to dig out my sunglasses. I need to be a better planner. I usually drive around a turn or a bend in the road and suddenly I am blinded by the sun. I start swerving all over while I am squinting my eyes trying to see the road as I am madly searching the car, my purse, the kids for my sunglasses. This morning Brian took Hannah and Carter to school so I took advantage of my quiet morning and decided to spend the time with Beth Moore. Have you ever picked up a book or read a scripture in the Bible and felt like it was written for you. Sometimes I have even read the book or that verse a hundred times and I think why didn't I see it before? Well as I sat down on the couch this morning with the sun shining though the window beside me and my glass of water sparkling on the side table I flipped open my study book and Beth started talking to ME:
"When was the last time it was your turn? You know the feeling I'm talking about: when you're next. You've dreamed about it. You've longed for it.You've dreaded it. You've run from it... Your life is about to change... one way or the other. It could be your best day or your worst, but it cannot be a normal day. Destiny has not come knocking at your door. It's come mauling you like a bear."
As I was reading the words I was actually talking aloud. Yes! I know exactly what you are talking about and now I want to know when the change will be arriving and if it will be the best or worst day? Although the rest of the study was encouraging I never did get the answer. So I jumped in the shower only to realize that I had no more shampoo. So I start thinking about this... could I use my bar of soap or maybe I could try some body wash. What could I use as shampoo? I've never really thought about having shampoo as a luxury. Actually, I am one of those girls who throws away those sample pouches they send in the mail every once in a while. Not anymore! As I get out of the shower Brian and Carter are walking in the door and I get a message that a dear friend is having a tough day. The issue of how to wash the hair slipped my mind and I am now focused on my girlfriend. I call and ask if we can get together to which she agrees and we went out to lunch. Did I mention I can't afford a bottle of shampoo? I have the most wonderful conversation and as she is talking I am just thinking about how no matter what your issue we are all struggling with something. I just felt so encouraged and I hope she did too. Oh I did fail to mention that Hannah was also at lunch and very demanding of my attention so in an effort to occupy her I gave her my mobile phone. She loves to take pictures and look at them. So we are in the midst of a wonderful chat when the phone starts to ring, 'Brian calling'. So I pick up, "Hey honey what's up?" At first there was no voice on the other end. Then an unfamiliar voice says, "Do I know you?" YIKES! Something is not right What is going on? So the stranger finally states that I sent him a message. I quickly start to pour out my apologies and explain that my 4 year old was playing with the phone. I am still wondering who this person might be. The only Brian I know is my husband. I get off the phone and looked at the number and realized it was the fire chief who helped me plan Carter's birthday party at the station. Needless to say I don't think Hannah will be taking any more photos any time soon. So we all laughed and moved back to our conversation. Having lunch is the worse time for a girl talk because when do you take a bite? During our conversation we started to talk about how some people never have to go through struggles and how did we get picked for this job? Suddenly, I realize that every struggle I've been through and every dark valley I've walked though I've come out a stronger and wiser person. Next, we got talking about if you could take away a trial in your life which one would you pick? I decided I wanted to keep them all because each one has shaped the woman I am today. As difficult and puzzling as it can be to go through trials or struggles it really is a time to be joyful and celebrate all that you are gaining. You may not feel like you are gaining, but wait till you get to the other side and see the rewards. So now the most dreaded part of the day. The server brings the bill and lays it down in slow motion on the table. I reach for my purse (wearing my mask that everything is fine) trying to figure out how/where the money is going to come from. I thought maybe I could really wash some dishes. Then, to my wonderful surprise my dear friend said please let me. THANK YOU THANK YOU! I felt like shouting praises from my sticky booth seat. So I leave feeling so blessed to have such a wonderful friend that even knows when I'm wearing the mask.
Just a side story really quick: When I went to pick up Hannah from school today a few people congratulated me. I thought it was strange because really things were rather gloomy looking in life right now, but I just went with the flow. Maybe they thought I was someone else. So I get to Hannah's classroom and the teacher said congrats... I think it was a long time before the rest came out ...on having a boy. Hannah told us you found out you are having a boy and his name is baby Jesus. I started to laugh and shared that we really have no idea the sex of the baby. Hannah will not hear of this... she knows! Furthermore, I am really not sure where the baby Jesus thing came from but she has even shared this news with the clerk at the store. What should the follow up be when your child says, "Hi. My momma has baby Jesus in her belly."
So back to the day. We are now down to one car and Brian had an interview tonight so the kids needed a ride to go to AWANA. Our neighbors were wonderful and took both kids over and brought them home. Thank You.
As my night is coming to an end the blessings start coming at me from every direction. I open my email and it is overflowing with encouragement and such sweet words. Then, I find cards in Hannah's bag from tonight. I even got a card taped to my front door. All I can say is that it is a HUGE answer to prayer!! I think I can now get my bottle of shampoo. Thank you to everyone for all the amazing love and support. I keep saying I can't even express in words how much it means! I am so emotional. I have that lump in my throat, as my eyes fill with water and my heart aches with love. I am so blessed! We are so blessed as a family! Thank you. At the same time I have to admit that I have never been in this position before of accepting these wonderful gifts. The other day I had a friend bring me a box of presents from mac and cheese to dish soap to laundry soap. These gifts are all so wonderful and everyone is more generous then I ever imagined, but it is so hard to accept. I feel like I want to give back twice as much to each of you. Tonight a good friend wrote this to me and I love it! "If you were at my house and cut your finger it would be irresponsible of me not to offer you a band aid and kind of silly for you to just let your finger bled all over because you were too embarrassed to take what I was offering." Thank you for these comforting words.
Tonight I want to close with a verse I received from another amazing friend:
When you go through deep water and great trouble, i will be with you. When you go through rivers of difficulty, you WILL NOT drown! When you walk though the fire of oppression, you will not be burned up; the flames will not consume you. Isaiah 43:2
Thank You!

5 remarks:
I think you're becoming quite a little writer, Nancy. ;-) Bravo on your ability to communicate so effectively. I hope you continue.
I felt the same way in April and May as you do now. I wondered what was around the bend. How was my life about to dramatically change?? Where were we going to live? Where were the kids going to be in school? Who would my friends be? Would it be good or bad? Yada, yada, yada... It was scary but on the flipside an adventure. We were (and still are) a family loved dearly be the Lord and we were going to be fine...and we are better than fine, actually. Try and enjoy the ride even when it gets scary and you don't know what is coming next. "For I know the plans I have for you...."Jer. 29:11 Remember the "For I" part. God knows and that's all that really matters. I feel like I need to take my own advice!!
Ok. I am such a dork. I just left a comment on Nancy Fancy Pants. I thought the cake was adorable. I didn't notice the date until I added you to my blog list and realized how old the post was. Now I found the right blog. Glad you found me. Hope all is well. Keep in touch.
Nancy,
These posts are wonderful...it's so easy to hide behind a mask, but becoming authentic and REAL makes us all realize that we're all human, we all struggle, and God is SO GREAT! I will continue to fervently pray for you and your family, and thank you, again for simply writing what God is teaching you each and every day!
LOVE YOU!
me
Nancy, I was just catching up on your blog and I'm so sorry for all you are going through. I appriciate you sharing and also appriciate the scripture you include while going through these trials. I also love the veres in Phillipians 4:6-7. Another verse that has been very encouraging to both me and Dan during trials is Glatations 6:9. I actually went to the Christian bookstore and had them place a special order for me to put that verse on a plaque so we could hang it in our house. God is good and has a great plan for you and your family. I will be praying for you. Thanks again for sharing.
Nancy~
Ok. Now you can really call me a dork. I was in a hurry the other day and just wanted to let you know I found the right blog. I didn't have time to read your whole post. I just read it. You are a very talented writer and I didn't mean to minimize what you are going through with a stupid statement like "hope all is well". I am all about the mask coming off because when the mask comes off so do the shackles that bind us.
As far as the word you received did you know that there are two different words in scripture for "word"? There is "logos" which is the entire Word of God but there is also "rhema". Rhema is a passage that God opens your eyes to and speaks to you personally. I encourage you to keep studying (logos) and I promise you He will get you through every trial with a personal revelation (rhema).
I pray God's blessing today on you and your family.
Post a Comment